Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cilantro-Lime Chicken Quesadillas

(Inspiracion de Guru’s)

Cilantro lime quesadillas

In the infamous words of our inaugural US president, President George Washington, "I cannot tell a lie." AND I WON'T! These quesadillas are GOOD! Great as a meal in themselves with some rice and beans or as an awesome appetizer. This recipe is inspired by Megs and my recent obsession with Gurus in Provo; however, this is cheaper and we don’t have to be ashamed when we eat them three times a week. . . Now only to perfect their SWEET POTATO FRIES!

Ingredients

  • Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Shredded Mexican combo cheese
  • Cilantro-Lime Pesto (Recipe Below)
  • Feta Cheese, crumbled
  • Green Onions, chopped
  • Corn, cooked
  • Tortillas (I like to use large spinach, but plain ole flour works just fine)
  • Adobo seasoning (preferably con pepper and not con cumin. You can find this in the grocery store next to the other Mexican food items. It is great to use for in many other Mexican style dishes. I love it.)
  • Shredded Chicken breasts (I marinate mine in Worcestershire sauce and Adobo seasoning and grill it.)
  • Olive oil

Marinate chicken breasts in Worcestershire and Adobo for at least 30 minutes (optional, but makes a difference). Grill, shred, and set aside.

Place a tortilla on a plate and lightly brush olive oil all over one side. Sprinkle with Adobo seasoning. This will create an awesome crust to the quesadilla. Turn tortilla over for filling.

Spread pesto over half of tortilla (to your own liking, but I use approx. 2-3 tablespoons). Tortilla will be folded in half so only place ingredients on one side.

Layer on sharp cheese, feta cheese, green onions, corn, shredded chicken, Mexican cheese. You can use the amounts that suit your tastes, but I am relatively equal on chicken and all cheeses, but easier on the onions and corn.

Fold tortilla in half and grill on a non greased pan on medium until tortilla is golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.

Serve with sour cream and Pico De Gallo, relax, and ENJOY!

Cilantro-Lime Pesto

  • 1 bunch cilantro leaves (about 1 cup. No stems)
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts (slices, toasted almonds work as well)
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped, fresh garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or asiago cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth (1/4 cup water + 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon)

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend away.  A similar recipe that I found online for this pesto asked for 3 Tablespoons of garlic!  Now I love garlic, but throw me a friggin’ bone . . . so I reduced it quite drastically and it tastes perfect to me.  If you are salt sensitive, add only half of the salt, taste, then add more if you would like.  In essence, it’s pesto, you can do what tastes good to you.

4 comments:

  1. sweet mercy. i am going to to actually say they are better than gurus. i didn't want to admit it when i was over the other day, but i had eaten left over gurus clq right before i came over to your house...and then you MADE ME ONE. i liked yours better. just saying.
    figure out the fries and you can have my first born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one day when i came muster enough strength to get off the couch i am totally making these. makes my mouth water just looking at them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for this recipe! My husband and I went to Guru's on our first date, and had their cilantro lime quesadilla. Since we now live in Maryland, I used your recipe to re-create that meal two years later. :) It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try this recipe this Sunday! Wish me luck! I'm excited since I LOVE guru's but live forever away.

    ReplyDelete