Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chicken Divan with CURRY

chicken divan
Little background on this dish: I have never been a curry fan (aka, I was not in a hurry for curry) My only exposure to curry was via Indian food, and needless to say, TOO MUCH! SO, when a friend brought over her sister’s chicken divan recipe in which curry was included, I was skeptical. (Check out THIS food blog! Great stuff!) HOWEVER, we jumped on in and guess what,THE WATER WAS FINE! In fact, it was DELICIOUS!
I am now a firm believer that curry, when used in proper quantities, can be a wonderful ingredient. It gives a rich, homemade quality to this classic dish. ENJOY!
Ingredients
  • Broccoli florets (Enough for your liking, but usually enough to cover the bottom of the pan. I add mine uncooked to give it a crunchy bite, but you can quickly blanche them if you like them softer.)
  • 4 Chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (I am a fan of marinating my chicken. I suggest some Worcestershire and egg for this one)
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1-1/4 cup Miracle Whip (okay, now I am a Mayo lover, but MW gives this recipe just the right flavor.)
  • 2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons curry (you’re gonna love it!)
  • grated cheddar cheese
  • 3 pieces of bread, cubed
Spray a 9x13 pan and spread broccoli evenly on dish. Cover with cooked chicken. Combine soup, MW, lemon, and curry together (I add black pepper, but I pepper everything) and spread over chicken/broccoli. Sprinkle enough cheese on top to cover the sauce. Top with bread cubes (these crunch up and make a crouton-like topping. YES MA’AM!)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

1 comment: